DEPARTMENTS WITH COLLECTIONS . . DEPARTMENT FOR BOOK ILLUSTRATION, APLIED GRAPHICS AND PHOTOGRAFHY . . 5 / 10

Icon-pattern

1677

wood, woodcut

MAA Inv. No. 6615

The woodcut icon ("stampi"), that developed as an autonomous work of art and not as part of book-illustration, represents a specific form of printmaking. The woodcut, the first technique ever used for the production of large circulation multiples, developed in this part of the world (from the end of the sixteenth to the beginning of the seventeenth century), at the very moment when painters endeavoured to fulfill the numerous requests and need for icons. With its archaic and conservative style, completely focused on the renewal of the Medieval art, this woodcut icon perfectly fits into the general striving towards the revival of old art within a general movement for revival that prevailed on the territory of the reconstituted Patriarchy of Pec.

The icon under inventory number 6615 is two-sided; on the one side it displays St. George on Horseback, and Deisis on the other. Its connection with a similar composition of this saint in the Book of Hours of BoĹžidar Vukovic from 1538, already noted in previous scholarship, confirms that book illustrations had made a considerable influence on the creation of woodcut icons.