DEPARTMENTS WITH COLLECTIONS . . DEPARTMENT FOR CONTEMPORARY APPLIED ART . . 1 / 3

Perpetual motion

Ivan Tabaković, 1966

majolica

dimensions: 38 x 52 cm

MAA Inv. No. 9433

IVAN TABAKOVIC /Arad 1898 – Belgrade 1977) had a pivotal role, both as an artist and teacher, in the development of Serbian contemporary ceramics. He was educated in Zagreb in Hinka Juhn's atelier. The work of Ivan Tabakovic in this medium had a significant role in the development of ceramics in Croatia.

He started his pedagogical work in 1938 at the School for Applied Arts in Belgrade. After the foundation of the Academy of Applied Arts (in 1948) he continued his work at the Ceramics Department.

In 1968 he initiated the foundation of the first Ceramics Triennial that would gradually became the most important regular event in the contemporary ceramics in Yugoslavia and Serbia.

In the mid-seventies, Ivan Tabakovic transferred to the medium of ceramics his experiments in geometric abstraction that he had earlier commenced in painting. In this period Tabakovic endeavoured to represent the same motif in different media - in painting, ceramics and sculpture.