DEPARTMENTS WITH COLLECTIONS . . DEPARTMENT FOR CERAMICS, PORCELAN AND GLASS
Urn with lid
Majolica plate
Porcelain cup with saucer
Beaker
Beaker
Part of a porcelain dinner service
Beaker
Glass bottle-ewer
Jam bowl with saucer
DEPARTMENT FOR CERAMICS, PORCELAN AND GLASS

In charge of the Department: Biljana Crvenković, Senior Curator

The works from collection of painter and graphic artist Ljuba Ivanovic formed the basis for the Ceramics, Glass and Porcelain Department founded at the same time as the Museum of Applied Art itself. At present, the collection holds around 1250 artefacts and possesses several important collections of European porcelain and glass from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, European majolica from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries and the local Serbian glass from the nineteenth century.

CERAMICS

Following the objects kept in this collection, one can follow the development of ceramic production since the Hellenistic period to which belong some of the oldest vessels created in the potteries on the island of Vis, Croatia (third to second century BC). The Roman and medieval (from the sixth to the fifteenth century) production is mainly represented with the utilitarian ceramics. In the Renaissance and Baroque periods, in the Italian pottery centres, originated the luxury ceramics known as majolica (plate, inv. no. 113) frequently copied in the eighteenth and nineteenth century. This collection also has the examples of faience and stoneware from the European workshops (eighteenth to twentieth century). The Turkish faience from Kütahya, Persian wall panels and Chinese ceramics represent the Oriental art of pottery, from the seventeenth to the twentieth century.

PORCELAIN

The major part of the collection consists of objects from the European workshops (eighteenth and nineteenth centuries), while only a small section comes from the Chinese production centres (eighteenth to twentieth century). The oldest examples of tableware in the collection date from late Baroque, Rococo and Neo-classicism, and were manufactured in Meissen and Vienna - the workshops where the first so-called hard european porcelain was produced at the end of the eighteenth century. During the nineteenth and in early twentieth century large amounts of porcelain in Bierdermeier and pseudo historical styles came to Serbia. These were manufactured in Bohemian (Brezovi/Pirkenhammer, Slavkov/Schlaggenwald, Stara Role/Altrohloau, Loket/Elbogen), German (Berlin Selb) French (Sevres), Hungarian (Herend, Zsolnay) English and Russian workshops.

GLASS

After the invention of the blowpipe for glass in the first century B.C., that marked the pivotal moment in the glass industry, the Roman glassmakers adopted this technique at the beginning of the new era. During the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, the glass workshops of Murano were the main suppliers of glass on the European market. From the age of Baroque (end of seventeenth century), and the discovery of crystal glass, the production of glass began in Bohemia, Germany, Holland and England. During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries they managed to fulfil the requirements of the privileged classes in the beginning, and also of other social orders after the industrial revolution, in the mid nineteenth century. With the foundation of the glass factory in Jagodina (owned by Avram Petronijevic from 1846 to 1853 and Nacko Jankovic from 1882 to 1907) and Paracin (1907) local glass products are used in well-situated Serbian households. From the period of art nouveau (late nineteenth and early twentieth century) this department has a collection of glass created in the style of the French artist Emil Gallé, produced after his death.